Thread: My AC thread
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
(Oo{-I-}oO)

My AC thread

so I am getting ready to tackle one of the last things that doesn't work on my car. ( the Cruise that failed last week was(hopefully) just the linkage came loose)I really dont NEED Ac in MN, but we already hit 97 in the metro, and the wife is 4 1/2 months along, so I think she will enjoy it.

the history is this.
I had no AC when i got the car- surprise, surprise. I had the r-12 evac'd at a shop, then I added-(shhh...) the freeze12 crap that seemed so wonderful at the time, including an oil charge. had decent cooling for a few weeks, and the compressor started rattling. so I unhook'd it before any black death(I hope) could occur.

at this point, 3 yrs later, I have 0 psi readings at the low port. I also have a rather redneck hose patch on one line-I have a good replacement for this, but I reckon that is where all my f12 went.

does this mean that my F12 is gone, and I can open the system- to replace the compressor w. a rebuilt I have, and replace the one line, exp valve, R-D unit, all orings, etc-without"venting"(it seems the system already "vented")

I plan on flushing the system, replacing said components, and charging it w/ r-12 at Graplr's, as he has a charge machine, etc.......
I will prolly use a universal oil, so that if I ever did convert, the oil would not be an issue. good idea- or no??

should I replace the low pressure switch on the RD?

so what do I need to add to my shopping list??

I have the compressor and the upper line. the compressor was on a car I bought w/ a bad engine, but good AC- (r-12 AFAIK.) is there a flush procedure I should follow to eliminate any possible oil cross contamination??

I need-

receiver/drier

exp valve

O rings and seals- I see a whole car kit- worth it, or can I just buy the pkgs I see @ my FLAPS?? will this have the compressor seals and the RD seals?

oil- how much/ what type

flush in a can- 2

Thanks for the advice.