View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 PM

The European models were rated for towing. The MB mount is attached to the bumper. These bumpers have solid connections to the body. The US models (probably due to DOT requirements) have bumper shocks in place of the solid connections. Due to the low power of these engines you probably won't pull your bumper off but it is not a wise method to use the European mounts.

I'm having one made by a custom motorcycle frame shop that also does custom hitch receivers for larger trucks. The price finished is right now estimated at around US$300 assuming no design changes. If you don't care about how good the finishes are on the welds, don't want powder coating, etc. you could probably get one made for under $200. A lot under if you just want something to mount a ball to rather than a 2" receiver.

This was covered in a thread about a week ago but if towing remove all of the shock->body bolts and inspect them. This probably could be done with the bumper in place but knocking the bolts out of the shock takes a lot of force. It is much easier with the bumper assembly off.

Half the bolts on my vehicle were marginal and one actually snapped in two. I would recommend to just replace them all. You are only looking at a few dollars. 3/8" carriage bolts will work if you can't get the metric though they are slightly loose.