View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
1984 300SD

240D IP turning tool

Here is the rig I used to rotate the IP on my 240D.
The round notch fits around the #1 element fitting with a little clearance.
The left and right bolts tighten the rig to the square front end. The fixed bolt on top is for a long wrench to act as a push bar. If anyone can use this tool it is yours for the cost of shipping.
My IP rig for my 300D is on loan. When I get it back I will post a pic. It looks much this one but thinner to clear the oil dip stick. No nut on top, instead a 1" x 3" pipe welded on top. Stick in the jack handle and push. The rig is held in place by a 3/8" set screw on the inboard side instead of the 2 bolts as on the 240D tool.. The outboard side of the channel has a small hook that goes under the edge of the front of the IP square by just 1/8". I tried to rig a push device against the fender wall but it was in the way to tighten the easy front nut so gave up on that Idea. The rotation to set the IP is so little the steel lines are only a small problem. After my adjustment I undid the top nuts and bent the lines to fit without any tension. I have had 3 MB cars and the pump needed a little advance on all 3 for better performance and fuel economy. I think MB sets conservative.
Have fun.

God made me an atheist and who am I to question His wisdom

Last edited by The Gears; 07-31-2011 at 03:31 PM.