View Single Post
Old 06-02-1999, 03:40 PM
revbond

Lee, just a couple of things regarding the 500E:

Regarding the ASR defeat: I understand that the 500E did not come with a limited-slip differential, stock. European versions, I am told, had a limited slip diff as an option, along with optional ASR. I have been advised that the differential in the US versions was not designed for the excessive wheel spin which could accompany an ASR defeat, and could be ruined. I have been advised (by Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories and Barry Taylor of Richmond Mercedes (in Richmond, CA)) that I should install a limited slip differential along with an ASR defeat switch. What would be your recommendation? Which actually raises one additional question: If the ASR was optional in European versions (i.e., had an integrated ASR defeat) would not the factory ASR defeat switch be available? One last question regarding the ASR defeat: the box containing the computer modules in the engine compartment contains a module which has "ASR" on it. Is this the module which controls the ASR system? If so, what would happen if it were, uh, removed?

Regarding performance chips for the 500E: Performance Motor Group, Inc , an AMG tuner in Canada (www.performances.com), says they have a chip for the 500E tuned by AMG and the chips actually come from Germany. Would you happen to know anything about the chips? If they really are tuned by AMG? I've talked with the folks at PMG, and they seem like good guys, but I am no techno-wiz and don't know all the right questions. (by the way, Beverly Hills Motoring tells me that their chip, as well as their ASR defeat, is done by RennTech)

Regarding 500E brake upgrades: PMG also has a reinforced 500E brake. I am not sure exactly what is included or different for stock or if done by AMG or not (maybe I will call them about this). I also remember seeing somewhere, though, mention of AMG brakes for the 500E (or maybe it was the E55) which were done by AMG and encorporated some particular advanced racing technology and was a much improved braking system. Have you heard of these?

In case you would like to know, I recently purchased a pearl black 500E with a production date of 12/91 with 65K miles. The car is absoultely spic-and-span and, as you have experienced, runs like a monster. I plan on the the following modifications: chip; evo-II 17" wheels and new tires (probably Yokohama of some sort); AMG sway bar; AMG exhaust (cat-back, including muffler); new shocks and springs (according to PMG done by Bilstein under contract to AMG to AMG specs) which lowers car and maintains self-leveling rear (new rear shocks have adjusted valving to prevent "bottoming out." I recently purchased AMG stainless steel door sill plates for a little subtle cosmetic appeal. They come from the factory, fit perfectly, and look subtly beautiful. Eventually, I will do the ASR defeat along with, if necessary, a Torsen-Gleason limited-slip differential and maybe the appropriate brake upgrade. (don't worry, I plan to keep all replaced parts!)

Any comments or insights always welcome.

John

[This message has been edited by revbond (edited 06-02-99).]