View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Linesider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogguy View Post
The vacuum element for controlling the fresh/recirculating air flap has (finally!) failed on my 1983 300 CD-T.

Despite removing the glove box and panel that fits above the passenger footwell,I am unable to determine precisely how the vacuum element's actuating arm actually attaches to the flap.

Question: Does the actuating arm perhaps hook onto the flap? Is there a clip or pin to remove?

The FSM says, "Unclip actuating linkage on recirculating air flap." Hmmm. Can anyone shed a little more light on just how I will be disconnecting/re-connecting the actuating arm?

Thank you-
I went through this a few months ago. One of my major leaks was that particular element. Just getting the element loose was a major PITA. After almost giving up I found that the "arm" is hooked to the "flap" by a "hookey, elbow thingy" (in Sarah Palin terminology). I cannot remember exactly which way it goes. But, once you have that actuator loose you can work it around and just push the arm out of the small hole in the flap. I want to say that I pushed towards the firewall to get it out.

I actually have mine safety wired open and the hose plugged until I take the time to buy new diaphragms.

Edit: Oops.... Almost forgot. There is a bunch of foam crap on that flap. You will knock most of it off trying to get the arm off. It will fall into the abyss. If you remove the blower motor first, it will just fall out and you can wipe the rest out with a rag.

Back to the tour....

1985 300D (SOLD)