View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Blue View Post
Is your coolant level dropping at all? If not, then I would doubt any kind of head gasket problem.

It may be injectors but there may be a simpler, and less expensive, option. You mentioned leaking around the priming pump. If so, replace it for the new style for ~$20. Since this rough running occurs mainly at start-up, there may be air getting into the fuel system and it takes a moment to re-prime.
Supplier of new style hand priming pumps 12.99 american including delivery. Current mercedes ebay diesel parts. Ordered a spare yesterday myself. Quick shipping out his door and he claimed to have five left.

The way it works in life unfortunatly. If I had purchased a few spare primer pumps at this price I would never need another . By not puchasing a few I will eventually need more.

Whenever there is any possible question or suspicion about that hand primer pump change it. Simply stated if fuel can get out air might be getting in. If that turns out not the issue then make sure you have at least some positive pressure in the injection pump fuel feed.

The beauty of old diesels is they only need compression and fuel basically to start. As another poster already mentioned.

I imagine somehow or other your fuel is back draining allowing air in during the process. Thats why the more time since the last run increases the difficulty of restarting. The longer the interval the more air may be entering for you to overcome before good fuel supply is established. Or in combination with supply pressure being so substandard it makes life difficult for the injection pump to do its function properly. At least this area is pretty cheap to work in.

Last edited by barry123400; 07-21-2009 at 01:10 PM.