View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Either way, I would never want to be a parasite on somebody else. If I am not prepared enough, my fault. If I am not able enough, get able or die out. It is MY responsibility and/or my issue.
You're driving on the road I helped pay for, you parasite. Get off!

Did you also pay for all the transmission lines, water and sewer pipes that go to your house? The satellite that your GPS uses? The park where you walk your dog? The point is that everybody pitches in for lots of different things. With roads, you pay a little tax and in return get a country full of highways that you can drive on mostly for free, and people who drive a lot exploit the system most to their advantage. Are they the parasites?

Nobody is truly self-sufficient these days. That is a fairy tale. There is lots of interdependency going on.

It's also a fact that we have the highest ratio of morbidly obese people in the world. The land of 300 pound poor people. I would possibly vote for universal coverage if more people choose to take better care of themselves, or at least try. I'm afraid there is a 'good citizen' factor involved that many people wouldn't comprehend.

The biggest problem is that new expensive procedures are possible that can save or prolong lives which would have been lost in years past. If everyone is entitled to those treatments, the system will become very expensive. However I think that everyone should be entitled to at least a free annual checkup, to catch small fixable issues before they get to be major.
2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible
1999 Toyota Tacoma