View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonajim View Post
Ask for proof that the harmonic balancer has been replaced. Search a bit more on 'W210 spring perch' to find the (far more expert than I) consensus on how to check/inspect for that issue. Try every knob, switch, and button - several times if possible.
The harmonic balancer recall only affect '98-mid year 2000 cars. The later half of 2000 and 2001-2002 cars didn't have bad harmonic balancers.

My instrument cluster had a few pixels go out affecting the time read-out, but there is a guy here in the valley who fixes them. Comes out in a van and charged something link $300, IIRC.

I can't believe this one gentleman in Southern California is the only guy in the whole entire United States that offers this service, so I'd ask around at your local Mercedes independent garages for a referral should you have a bad instrument cluster.

My neighbor is a tech at Penske Mercedes in So. Cal., and he swears that W210 E320's and E430's are the most reliable, trouble-free, and long lasting cars Mercedes ever built.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".