View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 05:33 PM

I looked pretty closely at this stuff when I decided to replace the compressor in my 107 (yet another diy job that I haven't gotten to yet....) and this is what I found:

Like a previous poster stated, the EPA does consider the blend to be flamable. (Now why R134 is not considered flamable by the EPA when it has a LOWER flash point is beyond me). I looked to see if this blend was approved for use in other countries with safety laws similar to ours, and I couldn't find any.

The company is able to play a bit fast and loose with the facts IMO because it is ILLEGAL to use this stuff in a system designed for R12. However, if the system has been converted to use R134, it may be used as a replacement (not a drop in replacement mind you, but a replacement after evacuating all the R134). The web site keeps saying that the stuff cools better than R12, but when its time to talk replacement they only mention R134.

Finally, individual states are permitted to adopt stricter laws than the EPA. In some states its illegal to put any hydrocarbon refrigerant into a motor vehicle. I found cases where Louisiana was fining people who sold Envirosafe b/c its use was illegal there. My state (Virginia) is the same way.

Anyway, after toying around with the idea of using it, I decided not to. I accept the company's claims that its a better refrigerant than R134, and at first I was willing to give them a shot on the flamability issue. But I just didn't feel like dealing with the fact that no one could service the system. I decided to stay w/ good ol' R12.

My .02 FWIW

82 300 SD
77 450 SL (gone)