View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
George E320 CDI

Smile CDI Experience

Hi while I have a 2006 E320 CDI for all practical purposes they are the same car and engine.

All I can say is WOW!! I purchased new in July 2006 and it has been in the shop for the display screen coating flaking off and the windshield wipers skipping. Other than that it has been put fuel in it, change the oil/filters and drive it.

I purchased the car from Fort Wayne, IN Mercedes – sales person was Tom Diehl. He and his organization were extremely professional and made the buying experience very good. When the car has needed routine service, it was completed on-time and exactly what was quoted – the prices have been ok – I always want something less expensive. Besides doing good work, the car has always been hand shampooed, and detailed upon pick-up. Can’t ask for anything more.

I have had previous diesels that you had to time 0-60mph with a calendar. However, this one will smoke the tires if you shut off the traction control- The performance of the engine on the road is phenomenal – I have cruised for hours without incident. Fuel economy is wonderful (except for the marginal increase in diesel fuel costs). Quiet, smooth etc. typical for Mercedes. I have approximately 80K miles and it has not used a drop of oil, leaked or anything that I can think of that is bad. I’ve replaced the front breaks once and tires twice (around 39K)-

An issue that has occurred – not related to the car – has been the quality of diesel fuel. I used high Cetane when available, but after a few tanks I get a slight nailing sound. I switch to a lower grade for a couple tanks and all is well. Just purchase fuel from someone that has high turn over and you will be fine.

During the winter – and it has been in below 0 temps a number of times - I have never experienced ANY difficulty starting, warming up, or going. I am very conservative when I start out in colder weather – no hard accelerations until everything is warmed up and at operating temperature.

If I had to do it all over again, the ONLY change would be that I would get the satellite radio.

Good luck with the purchase and many happy and safe miles to you!

3pointstar