View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Custom User Title

I am in the process of rebuilding my front clip, same year, same model. I rear ended an SUV at about 20mph. The grill/core support took the whole impact, barely touched the engine. I bought an 82 SD and I think I got screwed - decent front clip, but no condenser, radiator fan connector is missing, fan clutch is wobbly, and radiator is wrong. But it is what it is. It cost me $330. If the rear window defrost lines are good I'll come out ahead.

The collision didn't touch my frame though. My front bumper was unscathed. So there's no straightening to do there, and the only thing that broke in the engine bay is the U-tube for the turbo. I spun the turbo and it appears to be fine.

My damage is going to cost me another $2500, maybe less if my body guy credits me for some of the mechanical work he won't have to do. But there's some other minor work he's going to do at the same time.

About the only thing that didn't work on my car was the rear defrost - water got into the laminated glass and blew out the lower half of the lines. But everything else works - Cruise, Air, Heat, Seats, Windows, Locks, all the dash lights, speedo, tach, clock, etc. And I just did ball joints and guide rod mounts and all four shocks. I know this car's condition and that's worth something too. At 109KMiles, the car has alot of life left, and I doubt that I could get anything comparable for the money I'll put into it. Except for the obvious fact that it's been in an accident now, at least I know that it wasn't that major, and I can accept that. I love this car just like I'm sure your daughter loves yours.

In the end, though, if it costs more to bring it back to roadworthy than it would for a suitable replacement, then it's not quite justifiable. However, I'd say, if you think the car will be the same, and the money you put into it to bring it back is as much or less than you would pay for something comparable, then it's more of a judgement call. If there is little else wrong with the car it could be very worthwhile.

It's always sad to see one of these leave the roadways if it is salvageable. Especially with only 150Kmiles on it.

'84 300SD 119KMi (Liesl der Diesel)
'84 300D 326KMi when the oil left (former parts car)
'82 300SD 253KMi (new parts car)