View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Follow up before work is done.

Thank you! Those were very detailed responses so I have some detailed questions:

" I wouldn't pull the engine. Before starting CLEAN EVERYTHING!"

Man, I have. I have used some serious gallons of simple green - and it has been done several times. I know that my cam cover does leak but could this really be causing all of the mess I see? I know that everything flows downward so technically, it is possible. But I have put on new gaskets and the cover doesn't seem inordinately warped. I have checked it with a straight edge ruler.

"First I would do the manifold. Maybe you dont need to have the manifold/turbo/plumbing right out of the car."

That is true, the engine doesn't need to be out to do the exhaust manifold. I was just using it as a way to make me feel better about doing 2 big jobs - i.e. if i have the engine out, it will be easier to do the manifold gasket. Since I am not a real mechanic, I have learned to move slowly and think things through and usually do one job at a time, even if it takes longer because then I have one can of worms open at a time and it simplifies my troubleshooting. BUT, if I have the engine out, it will be easier to do the manifold gasket at that time which I can accept as being a rational workflow combination.

"It may be easier to pull the transmission back enough to get at the back of the motor. It may be possible to do the seal then."

OK, this is something that I haven't researched lately but is part of my task list this weekend. Back when I was worried that I might have to replace those rear main seals, I remember finding that a) you had to pull the whole engine to do it and b) it is actually a very common problem (reference a later post that suggested that this was not the case). Any perspectives and/or links to similar work would be appreciated. I really do remember people commenting that this was a common and frequently necessary repair so if I'm wrong, god and mercedes shop, please help me to right my wrong thinking.

"I have never had to replace a rear main seal on a diesel engine unless the crankshaft was taken out."

OK, I will take note of this. Kent Bergsma over at ************** seems to think it is a frequent problem.

"The smoke you mention maybe from oil leaking out of the cam cover gasket and being heated by the exhaust/ turbo."

This is true, too. Like I said, my engine compartment is a mess right now. The cam cover gasket has been replaced.

" It would be a good time to set your tappets if they haven't been done lately"

If you mean a valve adjustment, that has been done with no improvement. If you mean something else, please let me know and I will do it.

"I have used some wet cloth to hold against the gasket to see if its leaking. With a motor that is not too hot the wet cloth will dampen the exhaust noise and you can determine exactly where the leak is. It may also be in the expansion piece just after the turbo or between the manifold and the turbo."

OK, I will do this test on Monday or Tuesday.

"You don't say how many miles the car has done. If it has done a lot, it would be worth checking to make sure the motor is not breathing excessively. Simply disconnect the pipe that runs from the top of the cam cover to the air cleaner while the engine is running and has been running for a while and if smoke comes out of it like a steam train it would be a sign of possible ring trouble/ very worn motor. The pressure build up that occurs with this problem will make it near imposible to cure oil leaks."

I will do this check on Monday or Tuesday, as well. The care has about 200K miles on it and it starts at the first crank of the engine. It starts and runs remarkably well (even with one screwed up hard fuel line which is entirely my fault and going to be replaced as soon as I get the part from peachparts or the junkyard (if i can find one by monday).

"Is the underside of the car wet with oil? "

soaked. that is what is giving me so much trouble finding the leak. i have tried cleaning it and then idling it for long periods. that rear main seal area is the first to show areas of oil.

"Is there oil spots showing on the back of the car? "

Yes, lots. When I researched this before, I was guided towards the turbo return pipe but that is now new and heavily sealed with silicon.

"How much oil is on the ground after the car has been parked over night?"

5 - 6 inch puddle but if left for a month, the puddle only grows to about 10"

OK, thanks for holding my hand in this endeavor. I have read lots of posts and tried to get a lot out of them but I am currently at a standstill and would be grateful for good advice.

Sasha