View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I think that very few people have figured out how to really build a successful internet business model. Other than google, they all seem to be struggling with how to actually get paid for eyeballs. Given their traffic, I'm surprised the wikipedia hasent gone to an add based model like google, they get plenty of hits. Other than that, maybe they should consider some type of freemium service?

As a 501(C)(3) organization (non profit and tax exempt), the Wiki Foundation has restrictions on its for profit activities (Unrelated Business Income), which can be subject to income tax, including advertising revenue. The NCAA lost a case back in the early 90's (iirc) when the IRS challenged its ad revenue from its Final Four Program as being unrelated income. IRS won on appeal in the 10th Circuit. I'm just guessing, but I think Wiki doesn't want the tax hassles that would arise out of plastering their web pages with ads. Or it may be prohibited in their by-laws. Who knows.
All charities these days are facing declining contributions and investment returns. Hence, the personal appeal.

I personally think Wiki is a wonderful tool to get your hands around something or someone quickly.