Thread: Tipping Myths?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 12:33 PM
WmHarlow

I worked food service in high school and in college. Trust me, the waitresses and waiters are not making minimum wages! They rely on tips to make up for the difference in low pay. The businesses are not required to pay minimum wages for these people because tipping is expected... the law allows for this expectation and businesses only have to pay 50-70% of minimum wage... tips cover the rest. The average waitress is making $3.50/hour plus tips.

When I was working as a bartender (still do on the side) I work for tips only. Most bar owners have one or two regular bartenders on payroll for $5-$8 per hour, and hire 'occasional' help for holidays and special occasions (like Saturday nights). These occasional bartenders work for the tips only so the owners do not have to 'report' payroll... sort of like contract workers. On the bright side, I can usually pull an extra $150 on any given night working for tips only... last New Years I put over $400 in my pocket for 6 hours work!

Haven't you ever wondered why drink prices are $3.25, 4.50, 5.25, 8.25....... they are done this way on purpose so you will pay in whole dollars and leave the change, at the very least. Drink prices like the $3.25 and $8.25 are done so you will pay with a 5 or 10 and leave all the change for the bartender. It is also customary (proper etiquette) to tip a bartender $0.50 minimum per bottle beer, $1.50 per pitcher beer, $1.00 per mixed well drink, and $1.50 per mixed specialty drink.

Here’s a short list of proper tipping etiquette:

Bartender, $.50 minimum per beer, $1.50 per pitcher, and $1-5 per mixed drink. Tip as drinks are served
Barber/hairdresser, 15%, $1.00 minimum
Food delivery, $1-5 depending on distance and load
Hotel room service, 15%
Hotel housekeeping, $5.00 per night (paid on departure)
Restaurant, 15% (20% if large group or better than average service)
Supermarket bag carrier, $1-5 depending on load, $1 per bag if bagger is separate person
Gas station attendant, $1-2 (full service)
Mechanic, $10-20 for jobs up to $500, max $50 tip
Golf/country club, $5.00 minimum tip for any service
Valet parking garage, $1-2 for parking, $5 for luggage assistance
Valet parking (special), $5.00 minimum.
Pet grooming, 15%
Massage, 10% or $5.00 minimum
Taxi driver, 15%, $1.00 minimum
Tow truck driver, $5.00 minimum, $20 max
Auto roadside service (jumpstart, tire change, fuel delivery), $3.00-5.00 depending on service.
Airport Skycap, $1.00 per bag
Furniture delivery (Benzman500 this is for you), $10.00 per person, $20 per person if assembly was required

And the one you all have been waiting for
Exotic clubs, $3.00 per song if sitting at stage level, $1.00 per song if seated away from the stage. Waitresses tipped per drink, $1 min.

Many more are listed at http://www.tipping.org

The service industry in this country has gone to hell in a handcart. Workers do not care becasue they are treated like dirt. If we all said a few kind words and tipped appropriately, the service we receive next time will be better for all of us!