View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Stumble Solved??

Markg612

So, let me get this right. The cure to you stumble/rough warm up was the little check valve in that line near the fuel filter?

I also have the exact same symptoms, and have had them for quite a while, but it really started as a very light stumble when I slightly ease into the gas pedal at low highway speeds. The stumble has gotten worse over the years (yes years) to the point where it blasts out a puff of smoke when it happens. THis stumble was around before the now present "great start up followed by rough skipping idle after the glow plug cycle". The car can go the entire 10k miles between oil changes without burning a drop so I assumed the compression/rings were good until I read the post from the other member talking about intake valve issues. Scary because I believe when warming up I see puffing in the joint of the pipe that goes back toward the turbo from the egr valve, but only when the motor actually misses. It has also gotten to the point when when warm the car will "load up a bit", meaning, it will not run bad at all, but once warm, if I sit and run for a while, it will smoke like hell for about a few hundred feet, but still run perfectly. Wouldn't know it's happening except for the pretty good cloud left in my rear view mirror. Definitely fuel as it stinks of diesel when it happens so it's fuel not burning oil. Sucks to be a motorcycle following me at that moment.

I have been looking at other posts referring to injectors and pop pressure and spray patterns etc thinking that might be my problem/cure as my car is pushing the 300k milestone on the originals. I figured that just might be it, but the injectors on peachparts are $105 each so I hate to experiment with $650. I am also now a bit unsure if I would have to send them to someone to have all the pop pressurea tested on the new ones if I do go that route.

In any case, I will look tonight, but as a previous poster mentioned, I to am not sure if I have this check valve in that line. Mine is a 1999 turbo. If it is just that line, and changing it fixes this problem, it's a dam good thing you are all the way up in CT because, though I am a somewhat homophobic guy (not that there is anything wrong with gay people - as Seinfeld would say), I might chase you down and kiss you for finding this out. As I said, I have been living with it for years and as it has slowly progressed. I have actually considered getting rid of the car, which I don't want to do. And trying to sell it running like this would just bring a price much lower than its worth.

Last edited by leszek; 02-18-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Typo's