View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Advice on 2002 C230K?

Hi,
I'm thinking of replacing my current 1984 300 turbo diesel, and am thinking about a
2002 C230 with supercharger and 6-speed transmission.
As seen here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200443169267&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1123#ht_4656wt_1053
It's a coupe with liftgate back. I haven't actually touched the car, and am curious if the rear seat legroom is as bad as in the 230 sedan. The sedan's fine as long as your rear passengers don't have legs, or heads.
But primarily this would be a road trip car, because my son is starting school 300 miles away, an entirely 2-lane drive, and if we're going to see him we'll have to do some driving.
I like the old 300, but also like the idea of ABS, traction control, air bags, etc.
I like the idea of getting good mileage, and am also thinking about a Passat diesel with manual transmission.
Questions?
Is this a comfortable car for a 6' driver?
Does is handle two-lane well? This is a real cross country drive from coastal Maine to Montreal, winter too.
Can one of these cars be maintained/repaired by an owner, by a good general mechanic, or does it have to go to an MB specialty shop?
Thanks for any comments