View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 PM
1990 500SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
Good grief people. Where do you people find this information?

First. If the airline cannot charge till you fly, they have no idea if you are going to fly and they get their money. That's why they charge you when you buy them.

Fifth. When the airlines started charging you for bags, it was made very clear that the changes were to take effect for tickets purchased after a certain date. Hence the rush in ticket purchase to avoid the bag charges for the first round of baggage fees. There may be airlines who just pull the trigger an impose them immediately but most I believe do not.
First, they take your CC info and charge you if you don't show.

I have always hated the overbooking concept, you bought it you fly it.
Although I worked with a boss years ago that almost always booked several return flights, just in case (in the 70s/80s.

Book a room at a hotel, do they take your money when you book, when you arrive or when you checkout.
We have a resort vacation, a deposit locked the room and the price, final payment is due 45 days before we leave, this resort (Sandals) even gaurantees if the price goes down you get the lower price.

Fifth, there were a number of airlines that imposed the fee immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
It not strange, they are giving you a better price (sometimes) for pre-purchasing your ticket. You can always wait until the last minute and take your chances.

I've mostly stopped flying because of all the security nonsense and the lack of service. I used to fly about 200k miles per year, about 1-2 flights per week, but it's not fun anymore. I've changed my work schedule, now I usually drive.

The bagage charges are just annoying.
Agree, I flew quite a bit in the 70s and 80s for business, so much easier than today. Now I fly once or twice a year for vacation, tough to drive to the Caribean.

I also thought it was strange, now they are charging for carryon (Spirit), to cut down on the amount of carry on.
You know if checked baggae was handled fast, safe (they lose a lot, even just temporily, if Fedex/UPS lost 10% of what airlines do they'd be out of business) and efficiently carry on wouldn't be needed.

Funny to though with the fees, the Airlines don't get the money until right before the flight. The CC companies hold them money "in case" the airline goes belly up they can refund it to you. The airline books it as an asset, but they don't get it.

Sounds like everybody but us gets to play with our money.

1990 500SL

I was always taught to respect my elders.
I don't have to respect too many people anymore.