View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 AM
1990 500SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
As for lost bags, if you knew what goes on to get your bag from A to B you would be amazed that any of them get there. Not sure where you got the 10% figure from but according to this site, the number is not even 1%. For Feb of 2010, the number is 4.01 bags mishandled per 1000 bags.
I did not say they lost 10%, I said if Fedex/UPS lost 10% of what the airlines did they would be out of business.

Somehow that number of 4.01 / 1000 sounds fishy, is that lost bags, does it include damaged, how about delayed, don't forget broken into.
But I agree considering the number they handle it isn't bad.

I have been fortunate, considering the flying I did, to have never lost a bag. But I had had several that were delayed, usually the next day and fortunately all but once when returning so it didn't matter.

But it's also the efficiency, I've come back from international flights, walked the 80 mile rat maze to immigration, gone through that after waiting forever, only to get to the carousel and still have to wait 20 minutes for luggae.
Have had similiar situations on US flights, it takes 20 or 30 minutes from when they open the door to get to the carousel, there should be some luggae there already, but you wait and wait.

OK then here's a question I've always wondered about.

Why do the airlines hand load each bag, why don't they load them into those cargo carriers at the terminal then just load those into the plane ??

Seems like you have a lot of extra manual handling, onto the carts, off the carts into the plane, the guy in the plane has to move them. Reverse for unloading.

1990 500SL

I was always taught to respect my elders.
I don't have to respect too many people anymore.