View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 PM

If you pump a large quanity of Fuel through the Nozzles the spray pattern is going to hose.
What you would like to happen is when you slowly apply pressure as you pump the Handle during 1 stroke is for the pressure to rise up to the Pop Pressure and the Nozzle open suddenly with a buzzing-chattering type sound, produce a good spray pattern and suddenly close after the pressure drops.

Next (I forget what the actual spec is in the FSM) you want to slowly pump the Handle durning 1 stroke and bring the pressue up until it is about 200psi below the Pop Pressure and see if the Nozzle leaks or drips. This tests how well the Pintel is seating in the Nozzle. There is also a spec in the FSM as to how much leakage is allowed.

One of the Problems with New Nozzles is (from my experience with Bosch Nozzles back in the 1970s, none were made in Asia at that time) is than in a set of Nozzles you will have some that will be excellent and some marginal. Sometims some were bad enough to be sent back and exchanged for other new ones.

Out of 4 sets of New Monark Nozzles I have had one that had a slightly feathered spray and one that sprays sort of a figure 8 spray pattern (I have never gone back yet and checked to see why, sometimes it is just dirt or something got into th seating area). The rest of the Monark Nozzles were all in the Excellent catagory.

Used Nozzles have even more variance in spray pattern and leaking. You just need to make a judgement call on them.

I was fortunate that when I was learning Nozzle Testing if I had a question or was undecided I could ask my Boss. It is hard to relate 5 years of experience in words.

Hunter's thread a while back was asking the best Cammera to take pics of Injector Spray Patterns so perhaps in the future there will be some referance to look at.