Thread: Trashed Turbo
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 09:17 PM

Unhappy Trashed Turbo

So I bought a 82 300d about 3 weeks ago that didn't run. I have been a sucker for the mb's since i had two 240d's about 4 years ago. I was excited about the 5 cylinder turbo! woo hoo.

Well I got it "cheap" cause the starter didn't work and couldn't hear it run. So list of things done. I replaced the starter which was a pain. Got her to start but the PO had left bio diesel in it for over a year without running..... not good. So after I removed and cleaned the tank and screen, I did a purge and still didn't run right. So I bought the socket to remove the injectors and cleaned them up. Then I ran a complete diesel purge with the juice bottle. Didn't really seem to make a big difference. I then re adjusted the throttle to get full movement.

Well I noticed that the air cleaner wasn't all the way on. So I pushed it on and tightened the clamp. Then came the test drive. Well I take off and it was going from first to second and I heard the dreaded turbo squak i have heard at tractor pulls too many times. My heart sunk. I shut it off and get out and smell rubber burning. Hmmm all belts are in place, nothing burning.

So I start it up and go back to the house. Turbo sounds terrible now. Pull off the aircleaner and half of the stupid elbow seal falls out. Well guess what the other half went through the turbo!!!! It trashed the impellar. Please tell me I am not the first to have this happen to. I am so frustrated now. Didn't plan on replacing that part. Any suggestions.

Oh also the trans goes from 2nd to high and slips, but I was trying to get the motor healthy before I condemed the trans. Should I just throw in the towel

Can I get a replacement impellar or what am I looking at for cost to replace the turbo?

Thanks Jim