View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Converting An SEC?

I got into the MB's last year. Since then I have done a bit to my car to make it my own. I told myself that this is the last car I need to own With proper maintenance it should last forever and just in case I recently bought another 3.0 drivetrain just to sit on deck if anything horrible were to happen. And the 300sd is a car that is timeless and that i could be proud to drive. Well then I laid eyes on the SEC and fell in love. Good lord is that a sexy car! So if this the car I am going to have till I die I need to be totally happy with it so I am duking this decision out.
Ok enough of my own personal battle I will have to figure that out myself. Now the main reason I got into the MB is because it is a well made diesel. I run alternative fuels so because of this I save about $150 or so a month so I can't really justify switching to a monster 5.6 V8 to tool around in so I would like to convert an SEC to diesel. What is involved in this. Like I said I have the motor/trans, my buddy has a few SD's at his junkyard for odds and ends. Is this going to be a huge hassle?
Then of course there is the purist factor, which I am not, but the car I am drooling over right now is a 560 AMG and my god I know that would be fun and to put the pig diesel motor in there would be sacrilege but hey I'm doing this for me.
Well i apologize for going on several tangents here, lets blame it on the a.d.d but would like to hear some tech info and random opinions on the subject. Thanks.