View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
There should be three 17 mm that need loosened and tightened on the 83-84 timeframe: the lower one lets the alternator pivot, the upper back one lets the bracket pivot and the third closer one adjusts the tension on the belt as the geometry from the other two shifts
Hmmn, As far as I can tell, on mine the "upper back one" is actually the nut for the bolt that goes all the way through the alternator housing and the slotted adjusting bracket. The bolt head on the bracket side has a threaded rod (5mm?) welded 90* perpendicular to the side of the bolt head, and it passes through a fork attached to the end of the slotted adjusting bracket - with a 13mm nut on the threaded rod. Turning the nut against the fork in the bracket pulls the rod - sliding the bolt in the slot of the adjusting bracket to tighten the belt. Kind of counfusing to explain, but as far as I can see there are only 2 of the 17mm bolts. That's all I loosened and I was successful at tightening up the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
A 17 mm ratcheting box end is good to have. You should be able to get to it just by removing the air-tube to the air filter...
...Note: this is probably NOT what the OP is asking about, but refers to the 90-degree adjuster, not the gear tooth adjuster.
Yeah a ratcheting 17mm would have helped, and I probably didn't have to take the U-tube off now that I think about it. I took it off to try to get to the front bolt head that has the adjuster rod welded to it from the top. Once I realized that a wrench wouldn't fit on it due to the rod being attached, I ended up loosening the rear nut on that bold from the bottom instead.

And yes I would describe what's on my car "the 90-degree adjuster" vs. the gear tooth adjuster....
99% original unmolested car
~210k miles on the clock

1986 Ford F250 4x4 Supercab
Charcoal & blue two tone paint over burgundy interior
Banks turbo, DRW, ZF-5 & SMF conversion
152k on the clock - actual mileage unknown