View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM

John Forbes Kerry's VN service record will always be quesitoned. Only he knows his motives in requesting Patrol craft Brown Water Navy duty.

He requested a transfer from the USS Gridley to that PC duty in Feb. 1968, after the Gridley left for a tour in VN waters. When the Gridley returned in June '68, Kerry was transferred to PC training and ended up in VN in Nov 1968.

His arrival coincided with the appointment of Elmo Zumwalt as head of the US Naval forces in Vietnam. Zumwalt dramatically changed the focus of the the Navy in-shore and river activities. The duty became much more dangerous and risky for the swift boats:
"By the late 1960s, the Swift Boat would commence operations alongside the PBR's in the inland waters, as well as maintaining operations along the coast line." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_water_navy

So, he picks up three shrapnel scratches in the next few months and requests a transfer out. Time in country: 4 months. Normal tour in VN was 12 months I believe.

As far as the Kerry did/Bush didn't argument goes, Kerry graduated and enlisted in '66. Duty honor country still was still in fashion. Bush graduated in '68. The Feb '68 Tet offensive turned a lot of folks opinions around about the war. The worm really turned in those two years. Most everyone who could was seeking deferrments. If the birthdates were reversed, so too may have the service records, especially Kerry, given his post service anti-war activities.

I have my opinions about Kerry's career and his motives. I respect his service but I am skeptical about his motives. But it's ancient history at this point.

Last edited by dynalow; 09-10-2010 at 12:38 PM.