View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgilmore View Post
Another interesting glow plug story, like mine where I had a hard to start issue and all glow plugs checked fine and then the next day 2 checked bad.
I think this may be an issue of current hogging... .
I can't explain why 2 of my glow plugs failed at the same time actually, but since it is a parallel circuit, I vote for hogging caused by a cascade .
I just replaced them all and hope they last a few years.
The hogging is common in semiconductors with a low dynamic resistance and can cause this sort of thing to occur without proper safeguards.
I believe that Carbon buildup causes the heat to be conducted into the Cylinder Head instead of the Prechamber Air. This keeps the Glow Plug cooler and when they are cooler they draw more amps for a longer amount of time than the would if they heated up normal.

I tested 1 good Glow Plug across the Battery Terminals with and Automotive Dash type Ammeter. It pegged out the 60amp Gauge for about 1.5-2 seconds and as it got hot the needle dropped to 16 amps and held there.
So if the Glow Plug cannot heat up like it is supposed to due to heat conduction through the Carbon it will continue to pull the higher amperage.