View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwolf View Post
On my 602.96 I removed the bottom radiator hose from the radiator and collected all the coolant in a bucket. Then I drained the block by removing the block plug over near the turbo. Then, after disconnecting the top hose, I took my garden hose and flushed the radiator and as much of the block as I could. Also used the garden hose to flush out the resovoir at the same time. Once all that fresh watrer stopped dripping I buttoned it all back together, added 1 gallon of Zerex G-05 (gives me a 40% mix) and the rest water. My 602 vents air pockets to the reservoir so I kept an eye on it for a 100 mile or so.
This is probably the single most important thing to do !!

Once you have filled it & started it & checked for leaks, take it for a run around the block (a mile or so) & check for leaks & the level of the coolant.
Then after you drive the car for a regular short run, check it again.
When you next fill with fuel, check it again.
If at any point in the not to distant future, the temp goes up unexpectedly or the motor gives other signs of being hot, check the coolant level & for leaks.
Its important to make sure that you have the heater operating when the car is first started to make sure it is filled with coolant.

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort....

1967 230-6 auto parts car. rust bucket.
1980 300D now parts car 800k miles
1984 300D 500k miles
1987 250td 160k miles English import
2001 jeep turbo diesel 130k miles
1998 jeep tdi ~ followed me home. Needs a turbo.
1968 Ford F750 truck. 6-354 diesel conversion.
Other toys ~J.D.,Cat & GM ~ mainly earth moving