View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM

06 ML350 Balance Shaft Failure

There are a large amount of different make/models that have the balance shaft problem. I have a 06 ML350 w/55,000 miles that had the balance shaft replaced in Aug. 2010. We received a small amount of "goodwill assistance" through Mercedes for the repair because 1.they said we purchased the car new and 2. had all the regular maint. done through an authorized center.

Mercedes has known about this problem since 2007 and has failed to notify any owners of the problem. Probably because the repair is so expensive ranging from $4,000-$8,000 and with most, the problem doesn't show up until after the warranty has expired. So it's a win-win situation for Mercedes. I don't feel all warm and fuzzy inside because Mercedes offered to put a little "goodwill cash" towards a repair that cost me thousands that they should have covered in full. And their 2 "rules" for qualifying for "goodwill assistance" for the repair has nothing to do with the repair. It's not preventable. If your vehicles falls between the serial numbers, your balance shaft will fail.

I've organized a group on facebook specifically for the balance shaft to try to get information to people and also get a number of vehicles affected. If your vehicle has been diagnosed, please join at:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?gid=113581522026194#!/group.php?gid=113581522026194