View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Baloney. They published a DTB.

This is what warranties are for. If it didn't fail in 4 years/50K miles (or 5 years/100K miles if CPO) you got what you contracted for. You are perfectly free to purchase as much extended warranty as you want.
i don't know, man. that's a kind of 'i told you so' logic that really skirts the underlying issue that MB built a defective engine. you are correct that people who bought extended are far more likely to be spared the huge expense of repairing a defective balance shaft, but i have studied this problem a bit and it looks to me like MB should have been more proactive in repairing these engines. if MB knew what serial number ranges had the soft gears, they should have recalled them. they didn't, probably because it would have cost them a lot of money, and they figured they could 'get away with it'. it's an unfortunate reality that the failures have a high likelihood just after the warranty period, in the 60-80K miles range. who buys a vehicle with the expectation that it will need a partial engine rebuild at 60K miles? this is simply not within the 'normal' parameters of new car ownership, warranty issues aside.

as it is now there is a class action lawsuit over this problem and the case seems to be a strong one, but i have no legal training so i am not exactly qualified to say if it's win-able or not.

punkinfair