View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
MB 1985 300TD Wagon

Windshield washer fluid pump testing.

I think I have two botched washer fluid pumps, but wondered if anyone with a bit more electrical knowledge could add their two cents.

On my 85-300TD wagon, the front windsheild pump seems to have stopped working.

I had to re-wire it last year to make room for an Espar diesel pre-heater and put the fluid resevoir on the passenger side of the engine. I checked the wiring with a meter and when I press the washer fluid button (on the turn signal) it still gives me a reading if just over 12 volts when the button is pressed and the probes in the socket for the pump wiring.

I figured this must be a pretty good indication. I thought i could just take the rear window pump as they are the same but it also wasnt working, but has been disconnected since we bought the car 3 years ago.

Using a continuity setting on the meter I put the probes on the two prongs of the pump and one of them gave positive continuity and the other pump was a negative.

I was wondering if I simply put two wires connected to a 12V battery and connected them directly to the prongs of the pump, would it normally activate the pump? Or would it fry it?

Any other suggestions no how to make a test to see if they are indeed both broken before buying a pair of new ones?