View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 AM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

welcome to the forum! the 240 is a very simple car, and can provide years of great transportation. most of the problems it has, can be repaired with simple tools, and this forum is the absolute BEST place to find out how to keep them running!
the manual 240 is pretty thrifty on fuel, but not GREAT. unlikely to get better than 28 probably average around 24. the automatic is a slower car, and will get lower mileage still.
the yellowish circle light on your dash is the front brake pad warning light. it has an icon in the shape of a circle with 6 dashes around it.
brake pads are much simpler to change on these cars than others. you simply remove two pins, and the pads slide out of the calipers. change one pad at a time, prying the caliper piston home, then drop in the new pad, and repeat. put the springs back in place, and slide the pins in place!
these cars are getting up there in age, so looking over the front steering suspension is a good idea. simple tie rods, a pair of control arm bushings on each side, and ball joints along with the body mounted guide rod bushings can need replacement, so check these things out.
most of all, ENJOY a very fun simple car!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!