View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Un Italiano vero

Quote:
Originally Posted by strelnik View Post
I’m sorry but that word-for-word translation doesn’t exist in French.
You might say “rigolo comme tout” or “ C’est une drôle d’histoire” or “ça me fait rigoler” but sadly, our rendition doesn’t work.
I am on a Peach Parts-like website in France for Citroëns and I understand what the Merkins say when they try the word-for-word translation in their posts . The French send back a giant “HUH?”. Or at least the more polite ones do. There’s one self-styled big important guy in the Cit community in the US who fancies himself the be-all-and-know-all, they shut him down repeatedly on the French website just like I would expect the members of this group to do, with a snotty foreigner.
The real be-all—and-know-all was an American named Don aka “ Red “ Dellinger who operated a Citroën dealership, spoke fluent French and was as nice as this guy is snobbish. I knew Red for years before he died and helped find the history and service records of his uncle who was killed during the Battle of the Bulge.
And so it goes.
I don't even come close to speak French, it was Google translation services fault

On a serious note, I still think that your writing style is fantastic and I really enjoy reading your LV story, can't wait for the next chapter.

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?