View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 08:31 AM
1990 500SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
I really hope they don't shut down the government, but if they do, I think there is a good chance the GOP will take it on the chin from a public relations standpoint.

The way things stand right now, the Democrats' message is that the GOP is willing to shutdown the government because they do not want to fund Planned Parenthood. We have the idiot Mike Pence saying that pretty directly. To put a cherry on top of it, we have John Kyl on the floor of the Senate saying things about Planned Parenthood that are obviously false. http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_04/028858.php

A shutdown will hurt the country, but if it helps get the GOP back into the minority status they deserve, then maybe the grownups can focus on running the country.
I am not supportting or objecting to Planned Parenthood, abortions or any of the other things that were involved here.

BUT what I object to is my tax dollars going to fund these type of things, not because they are right or wrong, but because the government should not be involved in ideological issue's.
It's all the crap (not correct term here, but it fits) like this that the government has gotten into that it shouldn't be in that has caused the budget to go over the edge.

If you want to support PP, pro/against abortion or any other ideological cause it is your right, not the politicians right to give my money to the causes they feel are appropriate.

It's not just at the federal level, but state and city too.

Like here in Chicago where the city council banned foi gras, since repealed, after getting laughed at by the rest of the country.
It's not just the cost of enforcing / implementing ideological issue's it's the waste of politicians time (not that it's worth much anyhow, but) when they could be concentrating on hopefully more important issue's.

1990 500SL

I was always taught to respect my elders.
I don't have to respect too many people anymore.