View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Brand new fuel sending unit, fuel gauge still inaccurate....

Finally took moms car in to have the fuel gauge repaired. When I bought the car 4 years ago it was on the fritz and even ran out of gas once right after purchase before it got down to "R". Over the years, just kept filling it up, but finally took it in. She took it and he put it on the lift and told her the fuel pump was leaking. I dont know, I had never smelled any gas or seen any drips. Anyway, she called dad and he gave the green light to replace it. To fix the fuel gauge (he said it needed a new sending unit) and fuel pump was going to be $600. They said do it. Went and picked it up next day and the fuel gauge still erratic. Said 1/2 tank when she left... less than a mile down the road it shot up to 1/1. Then back down to 1/4, etc. He called, said to bring it back, which we did the other day. He said that its possible that the new unit is defective, he had ordered another and to bring it back next week.

What are the chances for a brand new Bosch sending unit be defective? If its not the sending unit, what else would cause the fuel gauge to read 1/2 one minute, then full the next, then back down to 1/2 two miles later, then back to full a mile later? For $600.00, you would like a working and accurate fuel gauge indicator since thats why you took it in to begin with. So basically $600. later, a new fuel pump, but gauge still broken.

Thanks.

(Btw, its a gasoline gen 2 W126).