View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
Caution is advised. The auto dismantlers here are forbidden by law to sell catalytic converters and I don't know if the law is nation-wide or California only and if it applies to individuals also. You don't want to accidentally walk into some sheriff's sting operation and have the local DA decide to make an example out of you. Given the value of the precious metals in the cat, there has to be someone in your area who will take the thing off of your hands, just be careful who you talk to about it.

At the moment there is a wave of catalytic converter theft here in northern California. Thieves saw them off of cars and trucks right on the street; apparently they have found someone who will not ask questions when they bring in the goods. The thieves especially like Toyota pickups because it's easy to crawl under them, being high off of the road, and the cat is easy to get to.

Jeremy
I think Toyotas also have a higher content of platinum, so they are more valuable. A few years back, I heard of two that were sawn off in the companies parking lot.
Tom