View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Barry123400,

My first Hershey would have been 1965. A friend's dad took me along. Almost got run down by a VERY quiet Auburn Boat-tailed speedster with a very loud horn.
Went back in 1966. I think the Blue field was all there was--under the present water rides.
Airplanes still landed at the airfield across the highway.
Missed a few years due to college and grad school. Started going back for Saturday, only about 1980. Began camping, first on a side street and later at the American Legion lot a few years later.
The RAIN was legendary, as was the mud. Some enterprising person began to put it in buckets and sell the stuff. Remember them building roads with straw and stone? I've been there when rains caused ankle deep floods. Ice crystals mixing with chrome for the vendors selling hood ornaments and door handles is another favorite memory. I've had both my kids with me at some shows--getting drenched and cold and still having a great day together.
Now, its a guys week for a couple of my best friends. We grille beef and drink dark red wine and some single malt scotch, and more than that I cannot remember. ( Important note to self--do not use cell phone to call the wife after emptying a bottle of scotch.)