View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM

I went to the parts store today and bought a helicoil. It was way thinner than the thing that popped out with the spark plug. I showed the original to the guys at NAPA and they'd never seen one. They suggested a local shop which isn't convenient for me. I might try the parts manager where I work. As an experiment, I threaded the old insert into the old hole. It made it in about two threads worth and still had a little wiggle after I ran the engine for 30-60 seconds. It didn't completely seal the cylinder. I don't like the car enough to pull the head, in fact I've been trying to get rid of it for some time. I checked with PNP to see what they'd pay, and while I was pleasantly surprised with the answer, I decided to try craigslist one more time for a little more money.

The JB Weld thing is worth considering (I had actually thought of it and dismissed it), but I don't know how long it would last. I JB Welded a cracked exhaust manifold once, and got a little short of 500 miles out of it. BTW, the speedometer cable broke about a week before this, adding to the list of things I'd need to fix in order to keep this car as my winter beater.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 400,xxx miles
08 Suzuki GSX-R600 M4 Slip-on 22,xxx miles
88 Jaguar XJS V12 94,xxx miles. Work in progress.