View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM

560 SEL Speedometer - update on a previous thread

Hi all,

I have been posting on an intermittent speedometer on a previous thread, but as I now have finally figured out what is going on, I think I can ask for some advice.

First the problem: The speedometer needle is sticking, especially after the car has sat for a while. I know for certain now that it is mechanical with the needle, and not electronic. The final piece of evidence came yesterday, when I drove the car for the first time in two weeks after having come back from vacation. The needle would not budge, then it budged a little, but would not return to zero when I stopped the car. When I shut the car down, it would still not go all the way back to zero.

Then I took the car on the highway, and suddenly it sprang to life, but only after I reached about 65. From then it would zero again properly too.

So the question is: Some kind of watchmaker's lubricant on the friction points of the needle shaft? Has anyone else run into this and found a solution?

Thanks for any input!

p.s. this is not related to any odometer problem. The old gears were fine, yet I have replaced them with new ones. The odometer has always worked perfectly. It is just a misbehaving needle.