View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

Bicycle accidents leading cause of death

scroll down to the bottom to see the bar chart for causes of accidental deaths. As a result of viewing this, I've decided to go out for a bike ride this afternoon to do war with CB yakking semi tractor truck, cell phone yakking/texting car and truck drivers while listening to my own Sony Walkman.

I'm donating my body to the "Medical Foundation for the Study of Stupidity".

Sport Injuries and Injury Statistics

"The largest number of deaths were associated with head injuries while riding a bicycle. Most of these injuries resulted from accidents with motor vehicles due to heavy traffic, poor visibility, or failure to obey traffic regulations. Drowning while swimming was the next most common cause of death, followed by skiing accidents. Swimming where there is no lifeguard increases the risk of drowning if a person should get a cramp, or have some other serious problem. Deaths from skiing accidents occur because of the high speeds involved and the inability to maneuver to avoid obstacles like trees or rocks. Sonny Bono, of Sonny and Cher fame, died of injuries after hitting a tree while skiing near Lake Tahoe, California. His death came just days after Michael Kennedy, son of Robert F. Kennedy, died in a similar accident."