View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz fanatic View Post
Well...tonight I ran another ground to the engine / alternator and tested the voltage. 16.7 If I turn on the lights and fan, it drops to 13.8 - until I rev it up and then it's back to 16. I'm wondering about the battery junction (on fender well by battery) though. The PO had messed this all up and I got a new one and installed it. Could a wire be in the wrong spot and let everything run fine except the voltage? I've only had the car for 5 weeks so maybe it's been high all this time. I can't find a wiring diagram that shows the three poles individualy and what wires go to them. Neither my books or my CD Rom show it in any detail.
Any thoughts on this? I'm going to get the alt. tested later tonight and the battery as well. I'm still wondering about a ground to the inside of the alternator though. I've seen pics of a spade terminal next to the main connector on new alternators. I do not have a wire for this (that I can see). Thanks for all the help guys. Andy
Classic sign of a failed reg.
Now you need to work out what caused it.
My guess is that you have a bad connection that some times disconnects the alt main wire. It then has no battery on the end & if left running fries the reg.
On my second 300D I had to replace the main wire from the alt to the + terminal of the battery. It could also be the earth/ground strap.

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort....

1967 230-6 auto parts car. rust bucket.
1980 300D now parts car 800k miles
1984 300D 500k miles
1987 250td 160k miles English import
2001 jeep turbo diesel 130k miles
1998 jeep tdi ~ followed me home. Needs a turbo.
1968 Ford F750 truck. 6-354 diesel conversion.
Other toys ~J.D.,Cat & GM ~ mainly earth moving