View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM
MB 1985 300TD Wagon

Can anyone suggest Plan B for removal of axle from hub on 85 300TD wagon

Well, Now that Ive got my parts and the special MB hub tool My 85 300TDs hub doesnt want to let go of the rear right side axle so I can open up the bearings. Heres what ive tried so far.
Ive used a brass drift (or something close enough to one) to try knoking it from the outside inward, through the hole that you can see the axle through after you remove the bolt. No movement, So Ive used WD-40 and tried as well as heating it up with a propane torch to not quite red-hot tempurature, but very hot.. and hammering it again from the outside inwards in the same manner. Someone reccomended a product called PB Blaster, I tried dousing it with that and letting ti sit some days, agian with some more hammering. Now finally Ive actually flound a rubber plug to plug the hole and fill it with PB blaster and have it sit in there for over a week. Today I tried again to no avail. Im tempted to use a steel drift, and get a sledge or a very heavy hammer...
Im not sure what to do. Has anyone experienced such difficulty in removing the axle from the hub like this? I did the left rear one to see if I was going to experience the same thing and I was able to get it off. So unless it comes off differently I must be in for some serious nastiness.

Ive again plugged the end and filled the hole with PB blaster as I gave up hammering. How far could one go with hammering before something else gets damaged? If I did take a sledge to it, what would be the worst that happens, could it affect the rear differential? there seems to be play on the inner, differential side.

Its been a long overdue bearing replacement. Perhaps I waited too long. I drove it until it was smoking and smalling like burned rubber. Once I got the rotor off I can see the play in the bearings and its as if there arent any. I regret stretching out the repair job now, ther rear brakes were affected to. some uneven brake wear caused by the imbalanced wheel. tsk tsk tsk.

Ive thought of cutting off the axle? but then what? I would probably need a whole new axle and trailing arm....

Last edited by azitizz; 10-21-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: title type o