Thread: honda element
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 AM

I have an '07 EX, automatic with all wheel drive. I bought it specifically to haul my two large labs to the beach.

My impressions:

Because it is a box on wheels, the gas mileage is about 25MPG. There is some wind noise because I have a large roof rack.

I have driven the manual model and the shifting is somewhat sloppy due to the cable linkage design.

The Element has the same engine/transmission as the Accord so it is pretty bullet proof and has ample power.

Like all Hondas, you have to be maintenance consious with the fluid you use. Honda recommends using their brand antifreeze and transmission fluids which I highly recommend. Also, the use of aftermarket oil filters should be avoided. The filter is small and the Honda filter is designed to fit perfectly and do the job correctly.

The utility of the vehicle is outstanding. I folded up the rear seat and was able to load a full size washing machine in the back. My dogs bring lots of sand in and all I do is hose it out one a week or so. The sound system is great, witha subwoofer built in and XM/Sirus radio in the unit if you want to subscribe. (EX model only). The seats are fairly comfortable but there is a lumbar support and lots of head room. It is very easy to get in and out of.

Like all vehicles, it is not without glitches. The brakes had a recall for soft pedal. The '04 and '05 models had heater core problems (Honda took care of it). The gauge needles have been known to fall off but it is an easy fix. Fixed my tach needle in 5 minutes. The engine does NOT need a timing belt replacement but does require a valve adjustment at 100,000 miles. The battery is very small and lasts only 3 to 5 years. DIY oil changes are a pain in the butt because of the location of the filter. I just go to the dealer and use a coupon for a $19.95 oil change. In AWD models, you must change the rear jackpot fluid every 45,000 or so.

I am very satisfied with my Element. I must admit that it is not for everyone but is you want a tough utility vehicle that is very reliable, you can't go wrong.

Just make sure that you get one that has not been abused and has the recall work done. You should be able to get a nice one in your price range.

You can get a ton of information here: Honda Element Owners Club Forum

You can get lots of accessories and maintenance items here
Honda and Acura Accessories dot com - Genuine Factory Honda and Acura Accessories at discount prices.

Dave
Pawleys Island, SC

'79 300CD