View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
smoke gets in your eyes

The serpentine belt and tensioner will have to come off so it's a good time to check the tensioner arm and pulley bearings for smooth quiet operation. A tensioner arm that clicks as it pivots is bad. The tensioner arm is held to the front cover by a bolt that takes a 12mm hex bit. There's a washer between the tensioner arm and front cover that tends to appear an integral part of the tensioner arm and doesn't come with a replacement tensioner arm. Make sure you keep the washer and reinstall it.

Unless you have multi-jointed tools, it helps to remove the power steering pump pulley for clear access to the vacuum pump bolts. Loosen the power steering pump pulley bolts before removing the belt. If you read this too late, use a long screwdriver with a square shaft section to hold a couple of bolts while you loosen one. It'll make sense when you see it.

There are special tools to remove the fan. I get by with an 8mm hex key and a deep socket and breaker bar for the bolt through the fan clutch, and this pulley holder - Pulley Spinning Tool

There is a metal basket in the vacuum pump cavity. Very early engines require a dam gasket which doesn't fit with the basket. Simply remove and discard the basket. Other engines can take either the dam gasket without the basket, or a metal outline gasket or a fiber outline gasket with or without the basket. Are you with me? It's not a fitment issue. You can fit an outline gasket on an early engine and presumably cause problems. Phil should be able to help you or just use a dam gasket if that's what comes with your pump. Or trust Dave M./gsxr like most of us do -

From what I've heard, folks who order the Hella pump get a pump with Pierburg markings. Maybe Phil can enlighten you.

Sixto
87 300D