View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach4 View Post
That looks like a high pressure gauge, 0-100psi. Those kinds of gauges are designed for fuel injection systems that put out 40-60 psi. or more. As I understand it, our pumps are more like 5-10 psi and the purpose is to just get the fuel out of the tank and keep the injector pump supplied. It would seem to be a mismatch for the intended purpose.

I could be wrong, I'm only going by what I've picked up here. What are you showing on your gauge?

Regardless, nice installation.
Little more complicated than just getting the fuel into the pump.Manufactures specification is about fifteen pounds in the base of the injector pump. Nineteen pounds is even better.

Lift pump should put out about thirty pounds with the return clamped or closed off on the injection pump.

For our purposes the 0-30 pound gauge is almost ideal. He will just have a lesser range of needle movement to interpret with a 0-100 lb gauge. This is still a lot better than no gauge.

How do you save the initial cost? It informs you of the sagging pressure as the fuel filters load up. A restricted fuel filter contrary to what one might think hurts milage far before any physical sensation is known. You just change the fuel filters when the need is indicated..There are not a lot of things that pay for themselves out there. Installation of a gauge does have a chance though.

Beats driving around not having a clue about the condition of your filters alone. Or changing them just because you think you should.Or waiting for the car to quit.

Now if you do not have fifteen pounds pressure in the base of the injection pump find out why. Mechanical reasons may be an underporforming lift pump or a tired relief valve on the injection pump. You get more power in the seat of the pants feeling with good fuel pressure. Everything really in good condition and cold starts should be better as well. There is a chance the engine may be quieter on the highway with good pressure . The idle is smoother compared to a system running very low pressure.