View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespe View Post
In a perfect world.

Best bet is to use the PO's tags. Until a new title is issued, or registration expires, the plates are good (IMHO)
Hopefully we can do this, however Im looking to have backup plans in tact in the event that it doesn't. This is what I did in the case of my 190E. For the 420SEL it was only 3 hours away and we just used another one of the Mercedes plates and drove responsibly and carefully home.

Quote:
Aside from that, you could get temp tags in NY, but that might be next to impossible if you're out of state and it's a weekend.
I did see that NY had temp tags however there are no DMV's open on the weekend and I dont think us nor the seller could get the time off to make things happen during the week.

Quote:
and finally last option, throw on a set of your plates, and hope for the best. If you get pulled, have the signed and notorized title in hand, along with your insurance card. In Ohio, the insurance company give you 30 days if you have a policy with them. They will back charge you to the day you purchased the car. If your not speeding or breaking any other law and you get a decent trooper he will let you continue on your journey. But if you're driving 90 mph all bets are off.

Additionally, since you're driving there, have your buddy drive behind you, and just keep with traffic, no 5 mph under, that draws the sniffer dogs.
Right now, this is the best backup option I can see as no state dmv will issue a temp tag without title in hand and title wont be in hand until the weekend and everyone is closed.

(4/11/2020: Hi Everyone! I am still taking orders and replying to emails/PMs/etc, I appreciate your patience in these crazy times. Stay safe and healthy!)

82 300SD 145k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k