View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Don Atienza

Question Is this Oil Pressure still within normal?

Hello to everyone!

As I was driving on a long stretch of open road yesterday, I noticed that as I cruised at about 90-100kph/56-61mph, the oil pressure gauge read just a tick below 45kpa(?). Despite the high engine note of the '76 200D 123 engine (I would estimate it to be at least 3600rpm), the oil pressure doesnt reach the max point of the gauge. Is this still within normal?

Before, I used to have the oil pres. gauge which had the 1, 2, and 3 Bar unit increments. But then it developed leaks so I replaced it with a US Version gauge with the 15, 30, and 45(kpa? ) reading. I was told that 0.5Bar Oil Pressure at idling is the lower normal limit for this engine (at abt 80-90C engine temp.). I do not know however, how to transmute Bar to Kpa. Nevertheless, I know that my engine AT IDLE operates well within the specs, but when its cruising at that speed, im not sure if the oil pres. is still within the specs. Just that, though these engines seem to be bulletproof, there are just those things which can really kill it... like inadequate oil pressure.

BTW, oil is not even 2 months old, engine rebuilt about a year ago more or less. When I drove, the ambient temperature was about 26C, engine temp normal at about 80C. The car has no overheating problems even with the AC on, which is almost always.

I apologize for the long post... just wanted to give details.

Thanks!

-Don A.