View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Replacing my 602 cylinder head. Advice requested....

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions, but these should get me started for now.

So I'm just about ready to remove the head, I only need to pull the chain guide pins, and remove the heater tube(?) that connects to the head near the firewall. Which leads me to my first question:

1. How do you go about removing this tube? It looks like it should just pull out of the head, but I cant move it.

2. Is it standard procedure to replace the chain guide, or can I reuse it?

3. I'm also going to replace the vacuum pump while I'm at it. Is there anything I need to know about replacing the pump, or is it simply a matter of removing the old pump and bolting in the new one? (engine is at TDC)

4. I'm going to be replacing the old head with a remanufactured head from Metric Motors. When I asked about head gasket thickness, they recommend a thicker than stock gasket that they sell for $300.00! This seems fairly outrageous to me. Do you know if I would be able to source a thicker gasket (that is still oem quality) from somewhere else for less money? Or is around $300.00 the going rate for thicker gaskets?

5. Are you aware of a more in depth write up of R&R the head anywhere? I have the factory manual, but it leaves much to be desired in terms of detail.

Also, any, and I mean ANY tips/information you guys have will be greatly appreciated.