View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Going to look at a 1992 500SEL this week - couple of questions

I may be looking at a 1992 500SEL this week and have a couple of questions. I dont think that the engine wiring harness has been replaced on this car (at least the owner doesnt think so, he is the 2nd owner). The car has 159K and he said he has not had any issues with it and I am not even really sure how to check it. I am wondering if it hasnt been changed, about how much does a project like this run at a typical Mercedes shop (not a dealer), just an independent shop? I guess I could call a couple of ours this week and get a couple of price quotes. I dont even know if the 1992 models had the issue, I thought someone once told me that the EARLY 1992 models (made in late 1991) didnt have the "bio" wiring harness, but I dont know. I know that my uncle has a 1992 300SE (that his dad bought new) and he has never had any issues and he has never had his wiring harness replaced and he has about 180K now.

He said the car is in excellent condition (and has been stored in a heated garage since new), but I think the price is a little steep, but I have had NO LUCK at all in finding another locally. He is asking $5000, but I think/hope I can get it less than that, how much lower (if at all), I have no idea. The said the A/C has been already replaced as well as the rear suspension.

It may be later in the week before I can get to see it, but still looking at others in the meantime. A long-wheelbase 92-96 S-Class is what I am looking for, but its not like they are on every car lot on the corner around here. I dont think he will go any lower than $4K, but even that may be too much. I dont know. KBB only shows the value around $3600 and NADA has a high retail of $5300, but we all know a wise man never pays high retail.

Thanks in advance.