New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticedge View Post
This is very fascinating to watch, they saved 95% of this hive

Hive of 50,000 bees extracted from inside a house wall, and saved. [VIDEO]
That was pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymr View Post
This happened to me last year. Only we used an exit cone outside the house so the bees can go out but not back in. The combs are still in the wall but I sealed up the hole and no further problems. And I am a regular beekeeper now!
You would think that would be the better way to go. Certainly less invasive, especially since there seemed to be a clear entry and exit point.

I've wanted to get a couple hives but just haven't been able to commit to them yet. One of my customers stated off as a hobby two years ago and now has 200 hives scattered around his land and driving range. I forget what you call them, but he started building his own starter hives and starts from scratch rather than buying the started hives now. He'll be a great resource when I can finally do it right. He wants to start doing some workshops so I'll definitely take advantage of them when he does. Honey bees are such an important part of our industry (home gardening) that I want to do what I can to encourage their proliferation. Their decline is still disconcerting.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)