View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Same situation. #6 is to darn close to the oil filter housing to get a good grip on. I tried 3 times. Cut down 6 point sockets, tried shorter 12 point, etc. Already cut the electrode off with a dremel to get a better angle on it. Its rounded off like a 9mm Luger. Tried extractor sockets of multiple kinds and an 18" breaker bar. Its solid and rounds off before it breaks. Can't drill it without removing the oil filter housing first and then due to it being angled back toward the firewall it would take a truly unique drill and short bit to hit the angle right. No good solutions.

So....i'm, going on vacation next week, and an indy is pulling the head and sending it to a machine shop to drill it out.

He'll bust the other 5 loose, antisieze them, and stick them back it before he buttons it up. These went 199k miles before the 1st one went south.

Number 6 is a flat out bear.

edit: PS: I cant imagine taking a 14y/o car to the dealer for anything major (or minor for that matter); they'll spend more than the car is worth in a hearbeat.

09' E320 Bluetec 77k (USA)
09' Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel 48k (S.A.)

Last edited by TMAllison; 07-17-2012 at 09:03 PM.