View Single Post
Old 11-25-2002, 11:49 PM

I own a 91 300 SEL and have a similar problem. I searched the site and found several recommendations, it appears to be a common problem and the recommendations are the same. (Use "stall" in your search if you have not already) I have concluded that the best advise is to take it to the shop and have it hooked up to a diagnostic computer, as was suggested in this tread. I have not read on a shop forum of anyone consistantly solving the problem after all the replacement parts commonly suggested have been installed (OVP, spark plugs, injectors, et. al.)

Similar to you and others I replaced the OVP, spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, tranny fluid, man I even switched to synthetic oil and replaced a license plate lamp too It all needed to be done, car ran better and I hoped to have solved the problem...but it died on the freeway when I stopped in traffic a couple weeks later. Thats why I stopped short of doing all the other stuff you have tried. I have found in this forum the OVP change to be successful for some (as was testified in this tread), but then again I find more threads were it is not the solution. I even replaced my MAS unit due to me shorting it out while changing my fuel filter in an attempt to solve this stall problem. So I have changed my relays and I still have the problem.

I have not helped you solve your problem, or mine either, but I find some reward in knowing that its not just me. Funny thing about this kind of issue is the confirmation that you have solved your problem is slow to come your way. Someday I will take the car to the shop and have it looked at.

One things for sure, our 300SEL's are one fine ride!