View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Meh, if I was going to spend up in the four figure range for a well made shotgun, I'd be more than a little hesitant to be taking it out in the woods and getting it beat up. Skeet or trap range, yes, but crawling over barb wires fences with it?

At that, I've already got quite a collection of long guns around the house. I'm just looking at rigging up a cheap knockabout field gun, that I can reliably hit something with and put some meat on the table, and won't really care if it gets a little banged up in the field.

I've already got a cheap Stoeger Uplander 20 ga SXS - and when I say cheap, I'm only referring to the price - made in Brasil, suprisingly good fit and finish, nice solid gun, and the stock dimensions are already quite a bit closer to what I need than most of the other higher end guns in my collection.

When I tried a Pachmayr slip-on recoil pad on this same gun, that kicked the length of pull up to around 15", my hit to miss ratio on Texas doves noticeably improved.

I'm looking to do a few cheap and temporary tweaks to the gun, experiment and find the dimensions that work best, before say plopping down some real money on a custom stock for it or some of the higher end models in the collection.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club